KOTA KINABALU: The toxic algal bloom has been detected in Kuala Penyu waters with high readings of dinoflagellate cells of Pyrodinium bahamense in seawater and the paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) toxic exceeding the hazardous level in shellfish.
Sabah Agriculture and Food Industry Minister Datuk Junz Wong said the Pyrodinium bahamense cells did not kill shellfish or fish but they produce PSP toxins in shellfish.
“PSP toxins have no colour, odour, taste and not visible to the naked eye. It cannot be eliminated by cooking or freezing,” he said in a statement today.
Wong said all kinds of shellfish such as oysters and scallops are temporarily unsafe to consume, however, all kinds of fish, shrimp, crabs and squid are safe to eat but should be cleaned thoroughly including removing gills and internal organs before being cooked.