LABUAN – A thermometer fell to the ground and shattered at the laboratory of a school here Thursday, exposing three students to the mercury, according to the Labuan Fire and Rescue Department.
Its director, Zainal Madasin, said the students were sent to the Labuan Nucleus Hospital for treatment following the accident at about 7.30am at Sekolah Menengah Sains Labuan.
The Form One students of the school were carrying out an experiment when the accident happened, he told Bernama.
He said the department rushed a Hazmat (hazardous materials) team to the school upon being notified of the accident.
About 20 students, a teacher and a lab assistant were present when the accident took place, he added.
Zainal said the Hazmat team decontaminated the lab in a two-hour operation.
Meanwhile, in KUCHING, four students of Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Bako, here, were fortunate to escape serious injuries after the mercury they used during an experiment at the school’s laboratory spilled to the floor.
The victims, all form one students comprising three boys and a girl, had a direct contact with the chemical during the Thursday 12 noon incident.
All of them had been quickly decontaminated by the Tabuan Jaya and Petra Jaya Fire and Rescue Department teams as soon as they arrived at the school after receiving a call from the school management.
State Fire and Rescue Department assistant director Farhan Sufyan Borhan said the firefighters, equipped with breathing apparatus and chemical protective clothing, had cleaned the spillage with sulfur and detergent.