Sarawak To Continue Negotiations With Putrajaya On State’s Rights

LUNDU: Sarawak will continue to pursue negotiations with the Federal Government on returning the state’s rights under the Malaysia Agreement and Federal Constitution.

Chief Minister Datuk Amar Abang Johari Tun Openg said this assurance came from Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak during a meeting with the state Cabinet on Thursday morning.

“We have received assurance from the Federal Government that they will listen to what we want within the context of the Malaysia Agreement.

Abang Johari
Abang Johari

“Some people have complained that this is taking a long time. Don’t worry, give us the mandate and we will continue to negotiate with the Federal Government,” he said when launching Barisan Nasional’s manifesto for the Tanjong Datu by-election at the community hall here on Thursday.

Abang Johari said the 17-point manifesto, themed “Together We Will Carry On Tok Nan’s Legacy”, spelt out the policies and plans laid out by his predecessor, the late Tan Sri Adenan Satem, whose sudden demise on Jan 11 prompted the by-election.

The points include continuing the quest for Sarawak’s rights; safeguarding the people’s security against encroachment by illegal immigrants; respecting the people’s cultures, traditions and religions; preserving peace and harmony among the people; protecting the rights of NCR landowners; conserving the environment; and caring for the welfare of the less fortunate.

It also pledges to provide more affordable and low-cost housing; accelerate the provision of roads, water, electricity and telecommunication; improve health services; promote technical education through the Centre of Technical Excellence; recognise Chinese education and provide assistance to Chinese schools; adopt English as the second official language of Sarawak alongside Bahasa Malaysia; and transform Lundu and Sematan into major tourist destinations in the state.

Abang Johari said the state government had completed a master plan to develop tourism in Tanjong Datu.

He also said a total of RM863.2mil had been approved for 602 projects in the constituency.

“Let us all work hard to deliver a big victory for Barisan in Tanjong Datu,” he added.