SANDAKAN: The Sandakan Disaster Operations Control Centre (PKOB), with the assistance of the Health Ministry, is targetting 200 daily COVID-19 screenings at roadblocks throughout the district, says Sandakan District Police Chief ACP Mohd Azhar Hamin.
He said that the screenings at the roadblocks would provide more opportunities to detect COVID-19 infections among the public.
Mohd Azhar, who is also the Sandakan PKOB deputy chairman, said its purpose was to detect individuals who refused to be tested or had been left out during screenings conducted at villages and residential areas.
In addition, it would serve as a way to monitor infections in the district, especially in the Batu Sapi parliamentary constituency.
“Residents have reacted well, as they understand and know their role and duties where enforcement is concerned. Our society understands our initiatives and has accepted the new norms in their daily lives in order to curb the spread of COVID-19,” he told reporters today.
Yesterday, Sandakan recorded the highest number of new COVID-19 cases in Sabah, with 91 out of a total of 326 reported in the state.
When asked about the COVID-19 cluster at the Sibuga temporary detention centre, Mohd Azhar said the Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) there would hopefully break the chain of infection among the employees and foreign detainees at the centre.
“Efforts are now more focused on breaking the chain of infection, and the police are still conducting operations against illegal immigrants while the East Sabah Security Command continues to ensure the security of our borders along the entire east coast of Sabah,” he said.
He said that the Sibuga Jaya town hall had been turned into a quarantine centre for illegal immigrants before they were sent to the Sibuga detention centre for the deportation process.
A report from the National Security Council stated that there was enough room to house illegal immigrants in jails and temporary detention centres, although there was a rise in the number of cases amid delays in deporting them back to their countries.
Yesterday, Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob was reported to have said that the government had agreed to enforce the EMCO at Sibunga detention centre for 14 days beginning Dec 2.