Sabahan Pub Bomber, Accomplice Jailed 25 Years For Terror Act In KL

KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court here Wednesday sentenced two men to 25 years jail each for committing a terrorist act by exploding a grenade at an entertainment centre in Puchong last June, causing eight people to be injured.

Judicial Commissioner Datuk Nordin Hassan handed down the sentence on unemployed Imam Wahyudin Karjono, 21, and factory operator Jonius Ondie @ Jahali, 25, a Sabahan from Kota Marudu, after they changed their plea to guilty.

Jonius, right, and Imam Wahyudin are all smiles and show no remorse for their terror act last year, as they are led to prison where they will spend the next 25 years of their lives behind bars. 

Nordin said the court regarded the case as very serious involving a terrorist group in the country as it had resulted in serious injuries to the victims.

“The aim of imposing the sentence is not just for both of you, but to give a signal to those outside there and your comrades who want to continue the struggle (of supporting violence) which they feel is correct,” he said.

The court also sentenced Imam Wahyudin and Jonius to 10 years jail each for supporting terrorist act.

The court ordered the two men to serve the jail sentences concurrently from the date of their arrest. Imam Wahyudin was arrested on June 29, 2016, while Jonius on July 1, 2016.

Today was fixed for the second day trial of the case, but they changed their plea.

Imam Wahyudin, who wore a white T-shirt and Jonius, a black T-shirt, with donning a white skull-cap, appeared calm and lowered their heads when the court handed down the sentence.

They were charged with throwing the handgrenade at Movida Boulevard Sdn Bhd entertainment centre at Lot G2 & G3, Ground Floor, IOI Boulevard, Jalan Kenari 5, Bandar Puchong Jaya, Puchong, at 2 am, on June 28 last year.

In mitigation, lawyers Wan Azwan Aiman, who represented Imam Wahyudin, and PA Sharon, who represented Jonius, said their clients had repented and regretted their actions and promised not to repeat it.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Saiful Edris Zainuddin, who prosecuted, requested the court to impose a punishment to reflect the seriousness of the government in tackling the issue of terrorism which was becoming rampant.