Sabah Govt To Continue Monitoring Flood Areas – Wetrom

KOTA MARUDU: The Sabah state government will continue to monitor the flood affected and landslide areas in Kota Marudu, Kudat and Pitas to ensure the safety of villagers.

Assistant Minister to the Chief Minister, Datuk Wetrom Bahanda said the state government would also render assistance to those affected by the floods in the districts.

“The authorities are always on standby to act fast on rescue efforts and distributing aid when complaints are received from the flood victims,” he said in a statement here today.

The continuous rains on Sunday had resulted in the occurrence of landsides and the three districts being submerged in water.

Meanwhile, Wetrom, who is also Bandau state assemblyman said, he would ensure that immediate action is taken to deal with the problems of landslides at the Pitas main road so that district is not cut off and to enable vehicles to pass through.

“I am confident that the Works Department will take swift action to overcome the problem and ensure no recurrence of landslides in the area following heavy rains,” he said.

Wetrom who surveyed the areas and visited evacuees at the  relief centres in Kota Marudu on Tuesday said, the Disaster Operations Room in the district had been activated to operate round the clock.