BY BORNEOTODAY TEAM
KOTA KINABALU – More than RM900 million was reportedly spent, but 18 months later, the Sapulut-Kalabakan trunk road is badly damaged at several spots along the 145 kilometre stretch.
If previously motorists using the road had made verbal complaints to friends, DAP Sabah Publicity Secretary Phoong Jin Zhe has finally decided to come out into the open and query the authorities as to the sad state of affairs of the road.
Phoong and some DAP colleagues who had used the road recently on their way to Tawau said they were shocked to see many potholes, sink holes and uneven shoulders were found along 145km road.
“It is so dangerous and accidents could easily happen anytime,” he said in a statement, attached with relevant photographs to show that he was not pulling a fast one.
Phoong queried as to why after merely one year the rather expensively built road was damaged to such an extent as if it (the road) was never been upgraded in the first place.
He expressed doubt if the road was properly built in the first place or that quality materials were used, or did the people responsible just do a shoddy job to complete the project.
Phoong who was accompanied by DAP Sabah Organizing Secretary, Henry Shim and William to attend a DAP function in Tawau, said throughout their journey they had passed by dozens of timber-laden trucks that were obviously overloaded.
He said frequent road users had claimed that these logging trucks can be seen along the road almost every day and some of the drivers were reckless by speeding too – posing an obvious danger to others.
“I would like query the government whether these logging transportation activities are legal and if checks are made to ensure that they are not overloaded.
“For now it seems to indicate that overloaded logging trucks are the chief reason that caused the road to be damaged?
“Is the road designed to cope with such high loads? These are the questions that government has to answer and come clean,” Phoong added.
Phoong, in his statement, stressed that it is illogical and unacceptable that a road with construction price tag of over RM900 million can be easily broken in not-more-than two years.
The statement also indicated that the government spent about RM900 million to upgrade it to be sealed road.
It was launched in May 8, 2015 by Sabah Chief Minister Datuk Seri Panglima Musa Aman. It was witness by many Barisan Nasional leaders including Federal Works Minister Dato’ Sri Fadillah Yusuf.
But it must be said that travelling time between Tawau and Kota Kinabalu has been shortened by some three hours if one travels via Kimanis and Nabawan.