RM55,000 Bail For Peter Anthony; Heads Straight To Private Hospital

Peter Anthony, clutching his red-covered Bible, is all smiles after he was released on an RM55,000 bail following a seven-day remand by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission last week.

KOTA KINABALU: Peter Anthony, under probe by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission for an ‘uncompleted’ land deal in Tongod was released Friday on a RM55,000 bail.

The Parti Warisan Sabah vice-president was freed by Magistrate Afiq Agoes after the expiry of his seven-day remand and Peter headed straight to a private hospital at Damai.

An aide told BorneoToday that Peter was not well and had even admitted to hospital on Tuesday night because of dehydration and pain in the head.

Afiq had earlier allowed Peter to go to the hospital while his guarantor proceeded to the MACC Sabah office to pay the bail for his release.

At Friday’s session at the Magistrate’s Court, counsel Martin Tommy for Peter, submitted a medical report to the court.

Mohd Faliq Basirudin, the MACC deputy prosecutor had also told the court that Peter had been taken to a government hospital while under remand.

Peter was seen struggling while climbing the court’s staircase earlier, and after his release he told reporters he was not feeling well. He also said he had vomited a number of times while in detention.

“I hope I would be able to see the doctor today (Friday). I’ll be checking at the KPJ Hospital today and see how it goes,” he was quoted as saying.

Peter was first arrested last Friday after he called at the Sabah MACC officer upon answering a public directive to report in within 48 hours from last January 3.


He was initially given a three-day remanded from Saturday and was extended for another four days from Monday, by Magistrate Stephanie Sherron Abbie.

Peter is believed to be investigated for a failed land deal involving the Rubber Industry Smallholders Development Authority (Risda) though his role in the deal, which eventually did not go through, is unknown.

It is believed that Risda had made an upfront payment of RM15.5 million to the land sellers via its legal firm. However, due to technical issues, the deal was not completed.

It is understood that Risda then had problems getting the refund from their legal firm and a police report was subsequently lodged.

A lawyer Michael Persius Ubu, who is also wanted by the MACC for this case, has yet to surrender himself and is believed to be overseas.

This is the second time Peter has remanded by MACC.

He is out on MACC bail after being detained for a week late last year as part of a probe into the mishandling of funds for federal projects.

A small crowd of Parti Warisan supporters turned up at the Kota Kinabalu Court complex here to give support to Peter.


Further Four-Day Remand For Peter Anthony; Lawyer Ubu Remains Elusive

Peter Anthony ‘Detained’ For 24 Hours After Making MACC Appearance

BREAKING NEWS: Warisan V-President Peter Anthony Detained By MACC