Today, 16th September, hundreds of people are here from all walks of life and from all over Malaysia, Sabah, Sarawak and Malaya, to DEMAND THE FOLLOWING:-
(1) that the relationship among the merging partners of Malaya, Sabah and Sarawak be corrected, as 1 of 3 and not 1 of 13;
(2) that a new Agreement and a new Federal Constitution be drawn based on equal and genuine partnership;
(3) that the Inter-Governmental Committee (IGC) be reactivated with the participation of Britain to facilitate (1) and (2) above;
(4) that while (1) to (3) above are being activated, the pledges, undertakings and assurances contained in the MA63, the IGC Report and the Batu Sumpah be implemented;
(5) that the urgent and critical assurances and undertakings of the rights of the Borneo States be implemented. Among them are:-
(a) political autonomy/franchise, that is including no political interference from Kuala Lumpur or Putrajaya and illegal immigrants problem resolved and the electoral rolls cleaned up with no Project IC voters;
(b) Revenue rights as per Article 112C and the Tenth Schedule of the Federal Constitution including the 40% net revenue derived by the Federation from Sabah; the 10% export duties on petroleum in lieu of the royalties and the 10% import and excise duties on petroleum products imported into Sabah;
(c) Freedom of religion to be practiced in words and actions;
(d) Internal security in Sabah to be shared or concurrent responsibility;
(e) Native rights and Adat are to be fully respected;
(f) The constitutional rights of Sabah on land and natural resources to be fully restored and respected with the oil and gas ownership returned to Sabah;
(g) State education to be Sabah’s responsibility.
Both Umno-controlled Federal and Sbah governments should heed the warnings and advice given by the Chairman of the Cobbold Commission, Lord Cobbold, who said that:-
“If any idea was to take root that Malaysia would involve a takeover of the Borneo Territories by the Federation of Malaya and the submersion of the individualities of North Borneo and Sarawak, Malaysia would not, in my judgment, be generally acceptable or successful.”
And Sir William Goode, the last Governor of British North Borneo, who said:-
“… Tunku (Tunku Abdul Rahman) must avoid taking over the Borneo Territories as colonies ….. any impression of being transferred as colonies will provoke a “Merdeka” movement against Kuala Lumpur, potentially irresistible”
The signs are already there such as SSKM.
Therefore, the Federal and Sabah governments with the Sarawak government must resolve MA63, if they want Malaysia saved from self-disintegration.
Datuk Dr. Jeffrey Kitingan
16 September 2016
- This is the personal opinion of the writer and is not necessarily endorsed by BorneoToday