Police Report Lodged Over Viral Video On Sandakan Rainforest Park

3345

SANDAKAN: The Sabah Forestry Department has lodged reports with the police and the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) over a recent viral video clip on social media that accused the department of allowing logging in the Sandakan Rainforest Park.

Sabah chief conservator of forests Datuk Mashor Mohd Jaini said the department was upset by the accusation which he characterised as malicious.

“The video (content) is not only incorrect but there are elements of evil intent to undermine the good name of the Sabah Forestry Department and the state government.

“The Sabah Forestry Department is open to comments and criticisms, but the comments must be made in a responsible manner and through the right channels,” he told a press conference here.

Mashor said the police report was made on Jan 18 and it was learned that the police had started an investigation into the matter. He said the MCMC had been asked to identify the person who sent the video clip.

He explained that five per cent or about eight hectares of the 148 hectares of the park had been affected by rains that lashed the park on Aug 17 last year, uprooting 149 trees of various sizes and species and damaging trails and bridges.

Mashor also said that the department expected the rehabilitation of the park to take about two months at a cost of about RM100,000.

He said he hoped to obtain the assistance of authorities such as the Sandakan Municipal Council and the police to maintain security at the park after the RM2 fee for the public to enter the area was abolished last November.