MACC Probe: Engineer Released On Bail After Six-Day Remand Ends

Amarjit Singh, in red shirt, walks out a free man after he was released by the Magistrate’s Court on an MACC bail on Wednesday. He has to report to the Commission once a month.

KOTA KINABALU: A divisional secretary at Parti Warisan Sabah was released on bail Wednesday, following his detention over a corruption probe into rural projects in Sabah.

Amarjit Singh, 47, an engineer by profession, was released by Magistrate Cindy Mc Juce Balitus, who granted a RM50,000 bail with RM15,000 to be deposited under two sureties.

He will also have to report to the MACC once a month as part of the terms of his release.

He was represented by counsel Loretto Padua Jr, while Mohd Faliq Basirudin appeared for the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).

Amarjit was detained by the MACC last Thursday, after he went in for questioning for a water treatment plant project in Semporna, in which his previous employer was the consultant.

He was produced in the Magistrate’s court on Friday and was given a six-day remand.

He had been questioned the previous week, along with his former boss. The first time he was released after a few hours of being interviewed.

Outside the court, family members and several Warisan leaders from Putatan were present.

Amarjit is among 13 individuals detained and subsequently released by the MACC in its ongoing investigation over alleged misappropriation of federal funds meant for rural development projects in Sabah.

A report said MACC were investigating Amarjit under Section 18 of the MACC Act for the offence of intending to deceive principal by agent.

“We are investigating him for allegedly making false claims on projects he was involved in,” Faliq told reporters when met outside the court.

To a question on whether MACC will make more arrests, Faliq said there are none at the moment.

So far, 12 people, in Sabah as well as Putrajaya, have been released on MACC bail.

Shafie Apdal, the Warisan Sabah remains in MACC custody and will be brought to court this Friday where he is expected to be released on bail.