Labuan’s Aidilfitri Bazaar Gets Lukewarm Response From Traders

LABUAN: Although the Aidilfitri bazaar here is making a return this year, traders have been slow in applying for trading lots, said Labuan Corporation chief executive officer Dr Fary Akmal Osman.

She application for permit was opened early this month, but so far only two traders had applied and both had been approved.

The bazaar at Medan Selera Labuan would commence operations two weeks before Aidilfitri, which is expected to fall on May 13.

“We understand the people’s worries and concerns on the COVID-19 pandemic. We believe the poor response is due to this factor and the interstate travel restriction,” she told Bernama today.

She said like in previous years, the majority of the traders are expected to come from mainland Sabah. 

Fary reminded the bazaar operators, traders and visitors to strictly comply with the standard operating procedure (SOP) to contain the spread of COVID-19.

The bazaar was not opened last year because of the pandemic.

She said the decision to allow the Aidilfitri bazaar to operate until 2 am this year is in line with the National Security Council (MKN) SOP.

“The ruling depends on the decision to be made by MKN from time to time based on the COVID-19 cases. The bazaar can be called off at any time if there is a violation of SOP or sudden increase in cases,” she added.