LABUAN: The crime index for the first six months of this year in Labuan dropped by 28.9 per cent, or 91 cases, compared to 128 cases during the corresponding period last year, said Labuah police chief Supt Muhammad Farid Ahmad.
He attributed the drop to the enforcement of the Movement Control Order (MCO) since March 18.
He said cases on house-breaking decreased by 11.76 per cent, from 34 cases (Jan-July 5) last year to 30 cases this year.
“With the daily road blocks mounted at three main roads here and police patrols in all villages during the MCO, the crime index dropped significantly.
“The movement restriction that is making the people to stay home has led to a drop in the house break-in cases, most of the cases recorded were prior to the MCO,” he said to Bernama today.
He said at least nine violent crime cases and 82 property crimes (including theft) were recorded from January up to July 5 this year.
He urged members of the public to continue to be the ‘eyes and ears’ for the police by providing information to the authorities on any crimes to ensure public order and security in their respective areas.