KOTA KINABALU – As of noon Thursday, the number of flood victims in Kota Marudu increased to 2,880 from 910 families at 11 evacuation centres as compared to 2,750 from 851 families in the morning.
Sabah Disaster Management Committee Secretariat head, Col Mulliadi Al Hamdi Ladin said there was a slight increase in the number of victims at the evacuation centres as the previous victims who had refused evacuation had gone to the centre when they ran out of food supply.
He said the victims were placed at the Sekolah Kebangsaan Teritipan, St Theresa Hall, Kampung (Kg) Lotong Hall, KRT Salimandut Hall, Kota Marudu Community Hall, Damai Training Centre Hall, Kg Asin-Asin Hall, Kg Morion Hall, Tandek Youth and Sports Hall, Kg Masolog Hall and Kg Longob Hall.
“The victims who were evacuated were from 17 villages around Kota Marudu, namely Kampung Longob, Beliajung, Bengkongan, Talantang 1, Masalog, Magaratong, Rakit, Morion, Piso, Salimandut, Tandek, Asin-Asin, Lotong, Parong, Gorontung, Pancur and Kampung Hatob,” he added in a statement Thursday.
He said the weather in the district was good since this morning and there had been no change in the water trend.
“As of noon today, the water level in Sungai Bongon was 7.50 metres (m) indicating alert level, while at Sungai Bandau, it was 8.05m which is below the warning level due to the high sea water level.”
Meanwhile, an evacuation centre in Pitas was opened today, to take in 77 victims from 26 families in Kampung Sibaung which was flooded this morning due to high water levels in two nearby rivers.
Sungai Kebatasan recorded 6.07m which is higher than the danger level of 6.0m, while Sungai Bengkoka recorded 4.0m which is at danger level.
Mulliadi also called for donations in terms of food and drinks among other essential items to be made if the situation worsens.