Indonesian Militants Planned New Year’s Assault With Machetes: Police

Indonesian anti-terror police squad members patrol the streets in Jakarta, Indonesia, 25 December 2016. concern that home-grown militants in the world's largest Muslim-majority nation are getting bolder.
Indonesian anti-terror police squad members patrol the streets in Jakarta, Indonesia, on Christmas Day, as concerns grow that home-grown militants in the world’s largest Muslim-majority nation are getting bolder.

JAKARTA – Indonesian militants supporting Islamic State planned to attack a police post on New Year’s eve with machetes and knives, a police spokesman said on Monday (Dec 26).

The plot was broken up after police arrested two of the would-be attackers who led them to their hideout, where police shot dead their two co-conspirators on Sunday after police said they tried to attack officers with machetes.

“The four of them were planning to attack a police post in Purwakarta. They planned to attack on New Year’s Eve,” Rikwanto, a national police spokesman, told reporters, referring to a district about 100 km (60 miles) east of the capital, Jakarta.

Sunday’s raid was the latest in a series over recent weeks that police say have disrupted attacks, raising concern that home-grown militants in the world’s largest Muslim-majority nation are getting bolder.

Police said last week that at least 14 people were being interrogated over suicide bomb plots targeting the presidential palace in Jakarta and at another undisclosed location.

Both involved female suicide bombers – a new tactic for Indonesian militants.

Police were still investigating whether the militants involved in the plot disrupted on Sunday had been trying to make bombs.

The suspects were members of Jamaah Ansharut Daulah (JAD), a militant group supporting Islamic State, but it was not yet clear whether they been in direct communication with Bahrun Naim, an Indonesian militant who fled to Syria about two years ago, the spokesman said.