BY ANIFAH AMAN
COMMENT: I welcome Datuk Seri Panglima Haji Mohd Shafie Apdal’s statement that the Federal Government should not take too long to return Sabah’s Rights in accordance to Malaysia Agreement 1963 including the 40% revenue which is the basis of the establishment of this country 55 years ago.
2. As a Sabahan and Member of Parliament for Kimanis, I am all for Shafie Apdal’s statement as reported in the local media today and seek other Sabahan leaders to support all efforts towards expediting and restoring Sabah Rights as stipulated in the Malaysia Agreement 1963. I once again state that should the proposal be tabled in Parliament, I would support it one hundred percent and seek the support of other Sabahan leaders as well regardless of political beliefs as this is what we in Sabah and Sarawak have been fighting for.
3. Once again I would like to state that I believe my other opposition colleagues from Sabah and Sarawak will be ready to unite and support all efforts to expedite the return of the Sabah and Sarawak rights as long as it is indeed in accordance with the Malaysian Agreement 1963 for the prosperity and well-being of our people.
4. I wish to reiterate that the Federal Government should take the necessary steps to acknowledge the intent and spirit of MA63 this includes oil royalty and all other revenue due to us as well. Only after agreeing to it then we can further negotiate on the quantum of payment. The Federal Government should not use the excuse of not having enough money to delay payment to Sabah and Sarawak.
5. The Federal Government should start negotiations immediately and not only acknowledge the rights but also agree to return the rights and execute initial payments to Sabah and Sarawak to show goodwill. Only then can methods and the quantum of payment be negotiated further. This has to be done for the benefit of the people in Sabah and Sarawak.
6. Once again I urge The Federal Government led by Pakatan Harapan today to immediately begin the move to implement MA63 without delay or excuses.
• Anifah Haji Aman is Member of Parliament for Kimanis and a former Foreign Minister
RELATED STORY: –