LABUAN: More than 100 staffs of Labuan containerised port operator (Labuan Liberty Wharf) of Labuan Liberty Port Management Sdn Bhd (LLPM) staged a peace picket today as their objection to the possible appointment of a new operator to handle the port operation and management.
The staffs’ representative Roslan Umar, 45, read the petition while the other staffs holding the banner and placards showing names of Prime Minister Tun M and Minister of transport Anthony Loke for their intervention and the length of the port operator service.
“We the LLPM staffs are strongly objecting the Labuan Port Authority’s (LPA) decision to allow the taking over the Labuan Liberty Wharf by new operator,” he said reading the petition at Desa Tunas, Kg Sg Miri here.
They also declared loyalty to the LLPM and wanted the Ministry of Transport and Prime Minister to help resolve the issue.
“We want our employer LLPM to continue operating the port, the port that it had transformed from a cowboy port since 1998 to a systematic port without a single cent (grant) from the relevant government authorities,” he said.
In the petition shared to media stated the decision to allow new operator (not from Labuan) is tantamount to sideline the local interest.
“If the LPA and MOT decided to allow the taking over by new operator from outside of Labuan, and the local operator is sidelined, there will be nothing left (local employer) to be proud by the people of Labuan,” Roslan said.
“I and the staffs had been with the LLPM since many years ago, with tears and sacrifices we had been together ensuring the port operation run smoothly and that was even before the LPA was established,” he said.
LLPM management representative Azhar Othman said the peace picket was unexpectedly carried out and thanked to the staffs for their loyalty.
LLPM on Dec 17 (2019) lodged a report to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) on alleged conspiracy in the Labuan port tender decision-making process.
The port operator also lodged a report on ‘leaked’ port tender result which had not been officially announced by the LPA and the reports were to seek for a thorough investigation by the MACC.
Its general manager Abd Ghani Paijan said they were not pointing fingers at any parties but just want a fair investigation by the MACC.
He said the leaked tender result which had gone viral following a news report by a local daily on Saturday (Dec 14) had unnecessarily created confusion and panic to the management, staff, business clients and port users.
Ghani said the news reports on the alleged leaked tender result and evidence on the alleged conspiracy had been handed over to Labuan MACC director Assistant Commissioner Mohd Yusizzudin Mohd Yusof.
Meanwhile, LPA in a statement to Bernama denied that any decision had been made on the new operator of containerised port Labuan Liberty Wharf.
“Any baseless statements will only jeopardise the selection process of the new Labuan Liberty Wharf operator,” it said.
LPA chairman Chan Foong Hin told Bernama that any decision would be made by the LPA board.