DPMM LABUAN TO RECLAIM LABUAN LIBERTY WHARF CONCESSION

LABUAN: Malaysian Malay Chamber of Commerce Labuan chapter (DPMM Labuan) will do its best to reclaim the Labuan’s containerised port of Labuan Liberty Wharf concession from the existing operator.

DPMM Labuan president (Yang diPertua) Datuk Suhaili Abdul Rahman said the handing over of the port concession was done in ‘a rush’, a few days after the taking over government by Perikatan Nasional from Pakatan Harapan (PH), and the former chairman of the Labuan Port Authority [LPA] (from DAP) was still the chairman.

DPMM Labuan through its investment arm Dewan Perniagaan Melayu Labuan Corporation (DPML Corp) was the Labuan Liberty Wharf concessionaire since 1998, before it was taken over by Megah Port Management Sdn Bhd.

Straits Inter Logistics Bhd on March 3 signed a binding definitive agreement with Labuan Port Authority to operate and manage the Labuan Liberty Terminal, after announcing the six-year contract in January.

The contract is undertaken by the company’s 51%-owned subsidiary, Megah Port Management Sdn Bhd, in which the remaining 49% stake is held by LPM Holdings Bhd.

“The Labuan Liberty Wharf concession was taken over by the new operator following some technical issues in the internal management of the DPMM, and that led to the long-serving concession by DPMM has gone away and the members in the chamber become the victim.

“We will bring this issue to the top leadership of the government and Prime Minster Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, as the handing over of the concession was done few days after the Pakatan Harapan government collapse and it was in a rush, DPMM Labuan and DPMM central leaders will fight this issue,” he said.

Suhaili said a protest in a petition would be submitted to the higher authorities that DPMM Labuan was not given ample time and equal chance to defend its right as the Labuan Liberty Wharf long-serving concessionaire.

“The port concession should have not taken over by operator outside of Labuan, it must stay for the Labuan business community,” he said.