KOTA KINABALU: The Royal Malaysia Police is still negotiating with the Philippine authorities to free the five Malaysian crew members of a trawler boat who were kidnapped in Dent Haven waters, Lahad Datu, Sabah, last July.
Deputy Inspector-General of Police Noor Rashid Ibrahim said this was to ensure that all of them, believed to be kept hostages by a militant group in the southern Philippines, were released safely.
“We are always carrying out efforts to free any Malaysian who is a kidnapping victim and continuous negotiations are still taking place,” he told reporters after closing a Police Cadet Corps camp in Kuala Nerus.
Also present were state Education Director Shafruddin Ali Hussin, state Police Chief Rosli Ab Rahman and the Federal Crime Prevention and Community Safety Department director Rusli Ahmad.
Noor Rashid, however, declined to comment further on the issue so as not to endanger the victims, adding that so far, the victims were in good condition and the negotiations had been done since the day they were kidnapped.
On separate matter, Noor Rashid urged the public to stop spreading news, pictures or videos that could bring disgrace to other individuals, saying that the police were working closely with the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission in tracking those who commit such action.
He said this when asked to comment on the two short video clips of a naked woman being assaulted by another woman in an incident, believed to have taken place last Wednesday at a hotel in Sungai Golok, Thailand.
Commenting further, he said the police had identified the suspects involved and would arrest them, soon.
Meanwhile, on the missing of a Malaysian student in France, Norsakinah Naim last Friday, Noor Rashid said the police willing to share information needed with the foreign authorities in tracking her down.