Sabah has barred the entry of non-Sabahans into the state with immediate effect in a bid to combat the growing number of Covid-19 cases in the state.
Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal (pic) said that all non-Sabahans would be required to get special permission from the state government as well provide medical certificates that they are Covid-19-free to enter the state.
“The entry of anyone who is not from Sabah, via air, sea and land will not be allowed unless they obtain a special approval by the state government,” he said in a statement issued here Tuesday (March 17).
The measure is expected to affect Peninsular Malaysians, Sarawakians and foreign tourists.
He said the state was also observing the Federal Government’s Movement Control order with only certain critical departments and agencies that will be operating during the period.
He said among the departments that will be operational were enforcement units of the Forestry Department, Wildlife, Environment, Kota Kinabalu City Hall, Land Survey Department, Agriculture Department, Sabah Islamic Affairs Department and Water Department.
“Sabah will give all assistance needed to the agencies involved in tackling the Covid-19 problem, ” he said, adding that it includes various measures such as closing most of its state ministries and businesses.
He said earlier measures taken included cancelling major events like Pesta Kaamatan and Pesta Kalimaran.
State Mufti Sahibus Samahah has also directed for all activities including Friday prayers at mosques and surau to stop temporarily for 10 days until March 27.
“This is to allow for cleaning and disinfection to be carried out, ” he added.
“All religious groups, churches and temples and other places of worship in the state had been advised to carry out cleaning and disinfection works,” he added.
He said the state’s operation centre under the State Natural Disaster Committee has also been activated.
Source: The Star