TAWAU: Police have identified several individuals including enforcement personnel in a video clip on alleged illegal Indonesian immigrants in Tawau, which went viral on social media.
Tawau police chief ACP Fadil Marsus said the matter was still under investigation.
“So far we have identified some of the individuals and policemen in the video clip. We are still in the process of investigating the matter and appropriate action will be taken once the investigation is over,” he told a press conference here Wednesday.
He was responding to the video clip produced by foreign media which went viral since Sunday. The 11-minute clip claimed that it was easy for Indonesians to enter Tawau illegally.
Fadil said police also had to ascertain whether the clip was really about illegal immigrants.
“Ther are no CIQs (Customs, Immigration and Quarantine posts) in Sungai Nyamuk (Indonesia) and Sungai Melayu (Malaysia). Besides, we also have a Malaysian population living in Wallace Bay and Bergosong (Sebatik) who commute daily to Tawau,” he said.
He added if it were found to be true that dishonest policemen were in cahoots with people smugglers, they would have to face the consequences.
Fadil also said that the Tawau Municipal Council (MPT) will close the landing area in Batu-Batu, Tawau.
Recently, a 10-minute video from Indonesia’s TransMedia Kontroversi programme showed their reporters masquerading as Indonesians looking for work in Sabah, crossing the border illegally from Nunukan island to Tawau with relative ease.
The video alleged that hundreds of Indonesians from South Sulawesi and Nusa Tenggara Timur crossed the border through the same passage daily via Pari Pari port in Nunukan, only having to pay off security officials between RM50 to RM100.
“It’s an open secret here,” Sri Tanjung assemblyman Chan Foong Hin from the DAP, was quoted as saying, and added that locals have known about the alternate entry for years.
The video claims other than the Batu-Batu access on the Sabah coast that was used in the video, the boats also go through other back access roads like Kalabakan, Sungai Udin and Sungai Fui.
The video, which is being shared on Facebook, WhatsApp and local blog sites, have irked locals, who said that the security breach is an embarrassment to the heavily funded Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom).
Moyog assemblyman Terrence Siambun from PKR said the government must take the matter seriously and investigate how the maritime waters were so easily breached even before docking at Tawau.
“I am shocked to watch the video of how our corrupted security enforcement personnel were easily bribed between RM50 to RM100 in order to let the Indonesian past through our beloved Sabah’s border,” the Sabah PKR vice chief said.
Siambun said that Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman, who also chairs the Sabah Security Council, should take personal responsibility over their failure to protect Sabah’s sovereignty.