Chopper Rescues Villager Hurt In Blast


KOTA KINABALU: A villager had to be airlifted to hospital from a remote settlement in Penampang after sustaining injuries when a firecracker blew up in his hands yesterday.

The 26-year-old suffered broken fingers on both hands besides injuries to the face and body when a Crazy Bang firecracker he tried to light suddenly exploded at Kg Terian, located deep in the interior of the district.

The villager had intended to play with the item at the front porch of his in-laws’ house when the incident occurred at 10am.

Penampang Police Chief DSP Mohd Haris Ibrahim said the victim was believed to have passed out following the explosion at the scene.

“Family members immediately contacted the 999 emergency line for help and later a helicopter was sent to the village to retrieve the victim,” he told reporters today.

“The man was flown to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for treatment.”

He added the man was reported to be in stable condition and still at the hospital for observation.

Haris warned that those found in possession of firecrackers or selling the items faced prosecution under Section 8 of the Explosives Act 1957.