By THE BORNEOTODAY TEAM
KOTA KINABALU – The Federation of Chinese Associations Sabah (FCAS) is organising a Cheongsam Pageant Contest this Jan 26.
It will be held at the Padang Merdeka here in conjunction with the Chinese New Year Carnival which is jointly organized by FCAS and Kota Kinabalu City Hall (DBKK).
According to the organising chairman Datuk Susan Wong, the competition aims to allow women of different ages to display the elegance of Chinese tradition in this modern era, especially during the auspicious Chinese New Year festive season.
This competition is confines to women who are currently living in Sabah and can converse in Chinese language. It will be divided into two categories – “Category A” and “Category B”, with each category comprising of 15 contestants.
Category A caters for contestants aged between 13 to 40, and will feature modern Cheongsam, while Category B is for women aged 41 and above, featuring traditional Cheongsam.
“The event will be held at the Padang Merdeka,” Wong added.
As for the prizes, the champion will receive a cash prize of RM800 plus a trophy; the 1st Runner-up will take home RM600 and a trophy; the 2nd Runner-up, RM400 and a trophy; and the winner for the Best Cheongsam Design will receive RM300 and a trophy.
Besides this, there will also be seven prizes for Honourable Mention with a cash reward of RM100 and a trophy.
Those who are keen to take part in the competition can contact：Mr Dennis Gan 012-829 8006 / Miss Wendy Chong 010-9311230 / Miss Jess Fung 016-831 6636 / Ms Madeleine Lee 012-8023282 for more information.
Rules and Regulations:
1. Contestants must fill in the application form attached with a colour 3R/4R group photo.
2. The Organizer will draw the numbers to determine the sequence of the contestants’ performance.
3. Contestants must report themselves to the Organizer 30 minutes before the competition starts, or else they will be automatically disqualified.
4. The Organizer has the right to postpone or cancel the competition under some special circumstances.
5. Registration is free of charge.
6. First Round: Two minutes of talent performance (50%).
– Round Two: Catwalks – contestants must introduce themselves besides uttering their choice of greetings within one minute (50%) Points will be deducted for exceeding the time limit.
– Winning will be based on the highest points accumulated from the two rounds. Judging will be based on individual disposition, hairstyle, dressing, headgear, stage effect, and performance.
7. Performance of the contestants must not contain any inappropriate elements. The Organiser has the right to request the contestants to make changes to their performance.
8. Contestants are required to bring their own VCD or CD (music track with or without vocals) if they wish to have music during their performance. The organizer is not responsible for any damage or loss of the VCD or CD.
9. Contestants must manage their own props and moving of the props must not exceed one minute.
10. The Organizer reserves the right to modify or restructure the competition. The Organizer’s decision will be final and no queries and/or appeals will be entertained.
11. The closing date for registration is on 15 January, 2017, or when the quota of 25 contestants is full.
12. Contestants must put on Cheongsam-styled costume when performing the catwalks. They can dress in other types of costume during the talent performance.
13. LED screen will be provided by the Organizer. Contestants can use their own background during the competition.