All Climbing At Mount Kinabalu Suspended Following 5.2 Earthquake

2127
Scene at Laban Rata soon after the earthquake struck at 9.06pm Thursday. No injuries were reported so far. – Photos taken off Whatsapp

By BORNEOTODAY REPORTERS
RANAU: An earthquake measuring 5.2 on the Richter scale struck near Ranau at 9.06pm Thursday with its effects felt as far as Lahad Datu in the east coast as well as Kota Kinabalu and Papar.

Some 130 climbers at Mount Kinabalu, along with their guides, rushed out of their hostels and stayed at the helipad area, as small aftershocks were felt.

Masidi Manjun, the Minister of Tourism, Culture and Environment in a tweet said:

“Acting on the advice of the Sabah Director of Parks and in the interest of safety of everyone, I have ordered a temporary suspension of all climbing activities at Mount Kinabalu.

“All climbers and mountain guides to return to Park Headquarters immediately.”

Earlier a voice recording, said to be that of a guide, which went viral on social media, said small rocks were seen falling.

The person also said that efforts are being made to bring the climbers down as soon as possible.

In June 2015, a 5.9 strong earthquake struck Ranau and claimed the lives of 18 climbers and their guides.