By BORNEOTODAY REPORTERS
KUNAK: Appropriate action will be taken, including suspending them from classes, if they are found guilty of beating up a fellow student recently.
But for now, the Kunak Education Department is leaving it to the police to investigate the matter after a video showing a girl being beaten up by several others at a field, went viral.
Following a report lodged by the mother of the victim on Sunday, police swooped and picked up 10 secondary school students on Monday.
Superintendent Mohd Nasarruddin Nasir, the Kunak police chief said that the students aged 15 – 17, seen in the video were being brought in to have their statements recorded.
“I have also talked to the parents of the students involved,” he said when contacted on Monday, adding that some of the alleged bullies were school leavers.
He declined to say what triggered the attack which is believed to have happened last week.
Maimunah Suhaibul, director of the Sabah Education Department said they would wait for the police to conclude their investigations before taking any action on those concerned, saying the standard operating procedures (SOP) for such cases would be followed.
Abu Samah A Bakar, the Kunak education assistant officer was earlier quoted saying he had ordered his personnel to look into the matter and take appropriate action.
“Our department also has no qualms in assisting police investigations.
“Since the incident happened outside school hours, our side will take appropriate action based on the standard operating procedure (SOP) and existing guidelines,” he said.
At the same time, Abu Samah urged the public not to speculate on the matter until investigations are completed.
A one-minute and thirty-nine-second video clip on the incident, shared by a Facebook account holder, went viral Sunday night and drew ire of netizens.