KOTA KINABALU: The United Pasokmomogun Kadazandusun Murut Organisation (Upko) has denied allegations by certain parties, especially the opposition that there was no development in Penampang ever since the area became an opposition stronghold.
Upko secretary-general Datuk Donald Peter Mojuntin said even though he was no longer the elected representative of the constituency since the last general election, Sabah led by Barisan Nasional (BN) did not neglect development in the area in the interest of the people.
“If we look at the list of developments implemented in the past three years, several hundred million ringgit had been spent (for development in the Penampang area).
“Recently, a Sungai Moyog Integrated River Basin Developmen project was launched, as well. This is to address the problem of flood in Penampang and Putatan.
“This is the largest allocation for Sabah to alleviate the problem,” he said, referring to the RM281 million flood mitigation programme project launched last November.
The ground-breaking ceremony was officiated by Sabah Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Seri Yahya Hussin on Monday.
“The RM281 million allocation is part of the RM481 million provided by the federal government under the 11th Malaysia Plan which will be implemented in four packages and expected to be completed by 2020,” added Donald.