KOTA KINABALU – The in-line baggage screening system at the Kota Kinabalu International Airport (KKIA) is expected to be implemented in November.
Malaysia Aiports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) chairman Tan Sri Dr Wan Abdul Aziz Wan Abdullah said efforts in preparing the system would be carried out in the near future.
He said the system was part of the MAHB plans and commitment in providing facilities and passenger comfort, reducing congestion at the registration counter and creating a better passenger channel at the departure hall.
“KKIA is the second busiest airport after KLIA (KL International Airport). MAHB will give full commitment in boosting the capacity and turn KKIA into a hub for flights in this region,” he told reporters after a briefing session on the future development of KKIA, here Wednesday.
Also present was Sabah Minister for Tourism, Culture and Environment Datuk Masidi Manjun.
Commenting further, Wan Abdul Aziz said the MAHB would also restructure the immigration counters at the KKIA besides increasing the number of passenger entry viaducts next year.
In addition, he said the MAHB was also committed to cater for 18 million passengers annually until 2035 compared with nine million annually at the airport.
Meanwhile, Masidi said continued efforts and cooperation between the MAHB and the state government was to ensure that the quality of services at the KKIA could be improved for the comfort and satisfaction of the customers.
On tourist arrivals in Sabah last year, Masidi said the year 2016 was the best year in the state tourism industry when it registered almost 3.4 million tourist arrivals.
He said as anticipated, the 2016 arrivals exceeded “our best year recorded in 2013 of 3,383,243 arrivals.
According to Masidi, there was a rise of 15.4 percent in international arrivals (1,128776 people) and a 4.6 percent increase in domestic arrivals (2,299,132)
He said the estimated tourism receipts in 2016 was at RM7.25 Bil (+9.7%).