Female ‘Assassin’ Nabbed For Murder Of N Korean Chief’s ‘Half Brother’

Khalid Abu Bakar

KUALA LUMPUR – Malaysian police have detained a female suspect at the KL International Airport 2 (klia2) in the probe into Monday’s death of a North Korean man said to be the half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said the woman was arrested at 8.20am Wednesday.

“She was in possession of a Socialist Republic of Vietnam travel document,” he said in a statement.

The document, he said, bore the name of ‘Doan Thi Huong’ with 31 May 1988 and Nam Dinh stated as the date of birth and place of birth, respectively.

“The suspect was positively identified from the CCTV footage at the airport,” Khalid said, adding that she was alone at the time of her arrest.

Khalid said the investigation was going on and any further action against the suspect or other individuals would be taken in accordance with the law.

On Tuesday, Khalid said the North Korean man who sought help at the customer service counter at klia2 went by the name of Kim Chol. A passport stated that Kim Chol was born in Pyongyang on June 10, 1970.

A man watches a television showing news reports of Kim Jong-Nam, the half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un, in Seoul on February 14, 2017. He was traveling on a passport that bore the name Kim Chol.

Foreign media had reported that Kim Chol was actually Kim Jong-nam, an elder half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

Kim Chol reportedly died on the way to hospital.

In KOTA KINABALU, Malaysia Airport Holding Berhad (MAHB) chairman Tan Sri Dr. Wan Abdullah Aziz said the incident was an isolated case and is still trying to figure out how it happened.

He said the case was still under police investigation and they will give full cooperation to the authorities on it.

“This is an isolated case and we do not know how it happened but we will beef up security in our airports to prevent such incidents,” he said after a briefing with Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment minister Datuk Masidi Manjun on the Kota Kinabalu International Airport expansion on Wednesday.

However he said he could not comment further on the case as investigations were on going.