Exposed To Mercury; Two Students, Teacher Get Treated At K’gau Hospital

207
One of the students receiving first aid from a firemen-paramedic before he was sent to the Keningau Hospital. – Photo credit BOMBA Keningau

KENINGAU: A teacher and two students were taken to hospital after they were exposed to mercury from a broken thermometer at SMK Ken Hwa in Keningau district, Thursday morning.

The teacher, Nurul Ain Aziz, 31, had her hands exposed to the mercury while the two 13-year-olds, Adrian Kent and Adrian Justin, had their neck and hand respectively, exposed to the substance.

They were conducting an experiment in the school laboratory when the incident happened.

Sabah Fire and Rescue Department public relations officer Khatizah Rahaban said the teacher and students were sent to hospital before firemen arrived.

Later in the day, another case of mercury being spilled in a school laboratory was reported, this time at SMK Talib Karim in Alor Gajah.

The Fire and Rescue Department’s Hazardous Materials (hazmat) team rushed to the school upon receiving a call from the school authorities.

Department spokesman Mohd Hafidzatullah Rashid said 20 students and a teacher were in the science laboratory when a thermometer fell and broke, spilling mercury onto the floor.

He said those exposed to the spillage were given treatment and no one was hurt in the 12.45pm incident.

Eight firemen were involved in the cleaning-up exercise which ended at 3.40pm.